Monday, January 27, 2014

AP EUROPEAN HISTORY: WORLD WAR I AND THE MEXICAN REVOLUTION

FOCUS QUESTIONS 1. What were some of the reasons for the rivalry between Germany and England between 1870 to 1914? 2. How did the Balkan crises between 1908 and 1913 lead to World War I? What was the metaphorical term for the Balkans at this time? 3. What was the “blank check” Germany “gave” to Austria? 4. Was World War I a total war? If so, why? If not, why not? 5. What was the Algeciras Conference and who was involved? 6. What factors in Europe led to the outbreak of World War I? 7. Describe the action on the Eastern Front. Who had the upper hand? 8. What was the Schlieffen Plan. Was it successful or did it fail? Why? 9. What were Wilson’s Fourteen Points? Why did the U.S. Congress not agree with Wilson? 10. Who were the major players in World War I and when did they join in the fight? 11. What were some of the innovations used in World War I? 12. List the empires that ceased to exist as a result of World War I? 13. Describe the action on the Western Front between 1914 and 1918. Who had the upper hand? 14. Which Eastern European countries gained independence after the peace conference that ended the war? 15. How did the Central Powers control their civilian populations?